Tuesday, April 28, 2009

creepy UAB

UAB has a clinic for EVERYTHING. Monday Harper had an appointment at the genetics clinic at the UAB Department of Human Genetics. A little creepy, yes. First, a genetic counselor came in and took a life history from Luke and me (and I mean life history). She actually drew up a family tree. She asked our ethnic origin. Come on, I'm from Jasper. Next, the doctor came in, looked at Harper's face, hands, and feet, and basically told us that she looked normal. Apparently, a lot of times they can look at children and tell if a syndrome is involved. He didn't like the results from the first round of genetic tests so he sent us over to Children's to get more labwork done. They are sending the blood to a special lab at the University of Iowa--they have a otolaryngology clinic that does chromosome tests specifically for deafness. Cool, huh? Another 4-6 weeks of waiting for results.

3 comments:

  1. They do have a clinic for everything, It takes up all of downtown birmingham!
    anywho, we will continue to pray for you guys and I love the blog, It helps to pray for specifics and we like to know how you guys are doing. see ya sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy, I'm so glad to see your blogging. I'm also glad for a way to keep up with Harper. She is a doll! We will continue to pray for answers for all of her testing. I look forward to reading more in the future!

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, you guys are in my prayers! I'm looking forward to getting to keep up with you guys!! Harper is adorable!

    ReplyDelete